Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Sisters Grimm: The Fairy Tale Detectives

I loved The Sisters Grimm: The Fairy-tale Detectives. There was humor. There was action. And there was growth for the main character, Sabrina Grimm.

While reading it I kept thinking, "I need to add the agent for this book on my To Query list for when I finish my book." So I was bummed when I googled the author, Michael Buckley, and read his publishing story.

He has no agent.

The Sisters Grimm was published in 2005.

That was the year that I went to my first Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers Conference. Back when large publishing houses still accepted unsolicitated (non-agented) manuscripts. And contracting with an agent was more of a "if you want to go for it, but you might not need one" thought.

That's not the case now. At least from what I've seen.

You first have to sell an agent on your manuscript. And then the agent will (hopefully) sell it to a publishing house.

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to add Abrams (The Sisters Grimm publishing house) to my list of dream publishers.

Next book up for reading - The Help. I'm giving myself a week to finish this one since its a bigger book. At least compared to what I have been reading.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Ashley! I have The Help on mp3. I listened to it on my ipod. I loved the story, but also the acting on the audio version. They read it with Southern accents! Good luck with your writing and finding an agent. Miss you, Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you Becky! We need to get together for a girls night or something. We could do dinner or something. Or meet at a McDonals for lunch and let the kids play. Something...

    I'm really enjoying The Help. I'm about a third of the way into it and its really good.

    ReplyDelete